Monday, October 7, 2013

What is God's role in our everyday lives?

This fall I'm studying something I've always taken for granted. I've always believed that God cared about the nuances of my life and was active in it on an everyday level. My prayer life has been fueled by this belief.

But the other day someone said something like, "I don't think God really cares about any of that. His goal is your salvation, beyond that, His perspective is eternal and He doesn't bother with the earthly things of this life." (loose quotation)

This little thorn has been prodding my heart, so I've begun studying the scriptures specifically for this answer. I'll be sharing some of what I find along the way. I hope it encourages you to study God's word for yourself.

But for now:

What do you think?

What is God's role in our everyday lives? 


2 comments:

  1. I can think of one scripture that says otherwise: Cast all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you. Why would God put that in his word if he was only concerned with our salvation? Why would He care about a sparrow falling from a tree?
    I look forward to reading what you discover from His word, Kelli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Mary's answer.

    I would add that I don't know that God cares if we live in Detroit or if we live in rural Kansas, but I do think he cares HOW we live in either of those places. I don't think he cares if we are farmers or construction workers, but he does care how we function in those positions. No matter where we are or what we are doing, we function as his ambassadors in our contexts.

    Someone who is not a believer was recently treated exceptionally well by some Christians. He asked me, "Why are they so nice to me?" It was the little things they did for him that made such a huge impact. So, I think God is interested in the little details.

    Good post. I look forward to future articles along these thoughts. WB

    ReplyDelete