Friday, January 3, 2014

Wake me when it's time to choose paint colors!

After more than 70 showings: THE HOUSE IS UNDER CONTRACT!

The last time we signed a contract on this house, it fell through, so we're cautiously optimistic going forward. Here's the 411.

We close in February.

But we don't have to move out until June 1!

We are ecstatic about this plan. We'll be tenants of our own home starting in February while we build the new one. (So, there will be 6 weeks where we're homeless, but who's counting...)

Assuming everything goes well throughout the contract process, I plan on breaking ground on the new house February 20.

When building was a dream, it looked easy and fun. Now I'm staring it in the face, I have to admit I'm a wee bit nervous.

House plans are fun. Tile and carpet selection is fun.

Getting the necessary permits: NOT FUN.

Here's what I've done so far. (You might find this list helpful when you begin your project)

1. Download and print the County Building Permit Application form. They've got a checklist of things I need.

2. Ignore the checklist. Look at house plans. Choose tile. Dream. Vibrate with excitement. 

3. Make last minute changes to house plans. Order large plats from printer.

4. Fill out the permit application.

5. Notice a lot of blanks. I don't know the answer to a lot of the questions! 

6. Decide to read the checklist again. Oh, I have to have a septic permit? Wait, what's a site access permit?

7. Panic.

8. Call the county.

9. Digest the news. Yes, I have to have a septic permit prior to submitting for my building permit. AND IT COSTS $750.00. Ouch.

10. Learn about a Site Access permit. This was the first one I applied for. I had to take pictures of the lot and even make a "traffic control plan" to keep all those cars who drive on my rural cul-de-sac safe from large trucks! LOL.

I couldn't believe all the tedium. I'm not really a "paperwork" person and the permit application process is all about paperwork. Could someone just wake me up when it's time to choose paint colors?

I'll apply for the septic permit Monday morning, and then pull the building permit with the county about a week later.

Stay tuned: I'll be blogging about every step along the way

If you're acting as the General Contractor on your home project, feel free to ask me questions in the comment section. I'm an open book (maybe you'll learn from my mistakes!)


DIY, building, decorating, HGTV, general contractor, build, do-it-yourself, house, planning, house plans, 









2 comments:

  1. So excited for you, Kelli! I'll be taking notes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I looked for blogs like this one to help me through the process and didn't find anything. This is a pioneer effort. :)

      Delete